Instructor: Gurmeet Kanwal
Course Start Date:06-07-2017
Course End Date:27-07-2017
Syllabus for Course on Interpersonal Psychoanalysis (HamAva Inst. Tehran):
Class 1- July 6
Key Concepts in Interpersonal Psychoanalysis I
1. Chapter III: Sullivan and Psychoanalysis. From: The Contributions of Harry Stack Sullivan; Patrick Mullahy (Ed.). Aronson, 1995
2. The Interpersonal Theory of Psychiatry – Chapters 2 and 3. Harry Stack Sullivan, Norton, 1953:
3. The Interpersonal Theory of Psychiatry – Chapters 10 and 13. Harry Stack Sullivan, Norton, 1953:
Class 2- July 13
Key Concepts in Interpersonal Psychoanalysis II
1. Mitchell, S.A. (1988). The Intrapsychic and the Interpersonal: Different Theories, Different Domains, or Historical Artifacts?. Psychoanal. Inq., 8:472-496.
2. Chapter 1: Bewtiched, Bothered and Bewildered: Some core issues. From: Interpersonal Psychoanalytic Perspectives on Relevance, Dismissal and Self-Definition by Arthur Feiner. Jessica Kingsley Publishers
Class 3- July 20
Interpersonal Technique and Theory of Therapeutic Action I
1. Levenson, E.A. (1988). The Pursuit of the Particular—On the Psychoanalytic Inquiry. Contemp. Psychoanal., 24:1-16.
2. Standing in the Spaces by Philip Bromberg: Introduction and Chapter 16
Class 4- July 27
Interpersonal Technique and Theory of Therapeutic Action II
1. Essential Papers on Countertransference (Benjamin Wolstein, Ed.): Introduction and Chapter 13 (Observations of Countertransference)
2. Gill, M.M. (1983). The Interpersonal Paradigm and the Degree of the Therapist’s Involvement. Contemp. Psychoanal., 19:200-237.